PROJECT NUMBER: 1622301
Efficient and Effective Writing in English: Advanced Level
Public service employees who already feel fairly confident about producing formal documents in English and want to elevate the quality of their texts to a higher level. This workshop primarily addresses former participants of the workshop ‘Formal Writing in English for Public Officials’; it also welcomes other public officials who are open to classic, collaborative, and creative approaches to efficient and effective writing in the workplace
During this workshop, you will explore a wide range of tried-and-tested strategies for structuring, drafting, and revising official documents in English. In addition, this hands-on workshop will focus on the improvement of your own texts, e.g., unfinished work brought with you from the workplace. Apart from your personal efforts, you will benefit from the feedback provided by other participants. The trainer will guide you throughout the entire process and complement it with on-the-spot language feedback.
• Trainer input regarding effective approaches to writing in the workplace, based on findings from the practice and research of teaching professional writing.
• Individual and small group exercises as well as group discussions.
• To become familiar with new techniques and approaches to writing in the workplace.
• To develop your formal writing skills by analysing other people’s texts, supported by the trainer.
• To work intensively on the revision of official documents you bring in.
MONDAY 17 OCTOBER 2016
Welcome and introduction to the workshop
Harrie Scholtens, Seconded National Expert, EIPA, Maastricht (NL)
Vera Zegers-Leberecht*, Trainer for writing and other work that makes sense, Maastricht (NL)
Introduction to the workshop
Revisiting the principles of effective writing in the workplace
Text work: Structured peer and trainer feedback on documents brought in by the participants
End of the first day
Dinner at a restaurant in Maastricht
TUESDAY 18 OCTOBER 2016
Creative techniques for organising ideas and structuring texts
Collaborative writing: challenges and issues
Final feedback and closing of the workshop
End of the workshop
* Vera Zegers-Leberecht, PhD, studied Linguistics, Theology and Intercultural Communication in Germany and Finland. Proficient in three languages, she has vast experience in both the theory and practice of spoken and written communication. After having been the Head of the English Department at Maastricht University Language Centre for several years, she is now working as a trainer for writing and other work that makes sense.
The programme will commence on Monday, 17 October at 10.00 and finish on Tuesday, 18 October at 14.30.
European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA)
O.L. Vrouweplein 22, 6211 HE Maastricht
Tel.: +31 43 3296 222
The seminar will be conducted in English.
EIPA Members’ fee*: €900
Regular fee: €1000
The fee includes documentation, two lunches, a dinner and refreshments. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of the participants or their administration. Please tick the relevant box in the registration form when registering for a seminar or training course. Note that reductions cannot be accumulated. For more information, please click here.
* EIPA Members can take advantage of a reduced fee; this is available to all civil servants working for one of EIPA’s member countries (i.e. AT, BE, BG, CY, CZ, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GR, HU, IE, IT, LT, LU, MT, NL, NO, PL, PT, SE, UK), and civil servants working for an EU institution, body or agency.
The European Institute of Public Administration has special price arrangements with a number of hotels. All hotels are within 10 minutes’ walking distance from EIPA. Should you wish to make use of this possibility, please book directly via the links below. Payment is to be made directly and personally to the hotel on checking out. At the time of booking, please mention in the requested field the EIPA project number: 1622301.
• Bastion Hotel
• Townhouse Hotel
• Hotel Derlon
• Designhotel Maastricht – Hampshire Eden
Should you require a special menu (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic), please inform the Programme Organiser so that this can be arranged.
Kindly complete the registration before 29 September 2016. Your name and address will be part of EIPA’s database for our mailing purpose only. If you do not want to be included in our mailing database, please tick the box on the registration form.
Confirmation of registration will be forwarded to participants on receipt of the completed registration form.
Prior payment is a condition for participation. Please indicate the method of payment on the registration form. For cancellations received within 15 days before the activity begins, we will have to charge an administration fee of €150 unless a replacement participant is found.
EIPA reserves the right to cancel the seminar up to two weeks before the starting date. EIPA accepts no responsibility for any costs incurred (travel, hotel, etc.). For EIPA's cancellation policy, please click here.